Wednesday, December 12, 2007

BiBi Card - Quark and Photoshop

Well, this is one project that I did not enjoy at all, and found it completely pointless, and made me wonder why would I ever need to make a subscription card. But made me laugh because I thought of Shiebler, and realized I'll always think of him fondly.

Ok non-the-less. Design rationale time. I know it was said that many people believed photoshop to be the easier of the two programs, I personally found Quark to be much easier and much better looking once I got the hang of it, granted it took me about an hour and some assistance to get the hang of it. The thing I liked most of all about the product was the actual finished product itself. The thing I hated was when the programs wouldn't cooperate with me, therefore frustrating me. But like I said, I was extremely excited when I got the grip of quark because it was MUCH MUCH MUCH easier than photoshop. I think alot of the people in the class said photoshop was easier because we had been spending so much time working in photoshop. I didn't expect quark to be as easy as it was. I was very frustrated on the white sides of the card in both programs because I couldn't make the lines on the right side to be all the same size or resemble each other at all, which also got quite frustrating.

Through this entire project the only time I enjoyed myself was when I was working in quark. Which surprised me because I was petrified of a new program. I tend to be a person against change, but this change was completely for the better. I feel that I learned alot, and will be able to use quark in the future for future tasks in life. (no trying to suck up - I actually mean it) The time difference in making these were photoshop about 1 1/2 hours, and quark 45 minutes. granted the time actually went by pretty quick.The photos attached are my finished products. My first two are my photoshop ones, and I took the screen shots of my finished product in the quark layout this way you had the proof that I actually did them in quark. Thank you for a great semester !! and happy holidays!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there. Creating those lines on the right edge of the card is an absolute breeze in QuarkXPress. Just use the line tool to create one at the thickness you need. Position it as the topmost line at the location you need it.

Then choose Item> Step and Repeat. Type in the number of lines you need, and how far apart they need to be. (Type in a 0 for the "horizontal" distance, since you want them stacked vertically.

Done!

Another approach is to position the top and bottom lines, duplicate them as many times as you need, and then use the Space/Align feature to space them evenly from top to bottom.

I hope this helps.

-- Jay Nelson
Editorial Director
Planet Quark
http://www.planetquark.com